Aug 23, 2009

Dragonflies

Those of you close to me have heard my story about how I have had dragonflies all around me since Josh died. I know it is a sign from our sweet son, you may say I am crazy (maybe so?) but we cannot deny those things we experience. I see them everywhere, including dragonfly merchandise at stores.

There is a legend about Dragonflies; the story is that they appear after someone close to you has just passed. The dragonfly is said to symbolize the soul of a lost loved one and that they represent that your loved one is still near you as they live on in immortality. I am not sure why or where that legend began, but I can only share what experiences I have personally had happen to me.

I was lucky enough to capture some of them on my cell phone camera, and I've had several times where they've LANDED on me! Actually flown to me and landed on my finger!!! (Even Joe was shocked when he saw it, and took a picture) This is not a coincidence...The funny thing is that they are now my new friends! This weekend I've had the chance to hold a few, experience a dozen or so flying near me and taking them in up close. (SEE PIC's BELOW AS PROOF)

Here is the story of the dragonfly that is used to explain death to young children. I had to include it as well, since I have run across it so often recently. I also included a picture of the shed I painted while Joe was out of town last week. While I was painting I seemed to have an abundance of Dragonflies surrounding me.

The Dragonfly
Once, in a little pond, in the muddy water under the lily pads, there lived a little water beetle in a community of water beetles. They lived a simple and comfortable life in the pond with few disturbances and interruptions.
Once in a while, sadness would come to the community when one of their fellow beetles would climb the stem of a lily pad and would never be seen again. They knew when this happened; their friend was dead, gone forever.
Then, one day, one little water beetle felt an irresistible urge to climb up that stem. However, he was determined that he would not leave forever. He would come back and tell his friends what he had found at the top.
When he reached the top and climbed out of the water onto the surface of the lily pad, he was so tired, and the sun felt so warm, that he decided he must take a nap. As he slept, his body changed and when he woke up, he had turned into a beautiful blue-tailed dragonfly with broad wings and a slender body designed for flying.
So, fly he did! And, as he soared he saw the beauty of a whole new world and a far superior way of life to what he had never known existed.
Then he remembered his beetle friends and how they were thinking by now he was dead. He wanted to go back to tell them, and explain to them that he was now more alive than he had ever been before. His life had been fulfilled rather than ended.
But, his new body would not go down into the water. He could not get back to tell his friends the good news. Then he understood that their time would come, when they, too, would know what he now knew. So, he raised his wings and flew off into his joyous new life!
~Author Unknown~

The shed's new look. Taupe and Black instead of cream and tan

A large red dragonfly, this is one that kept watch over me a lot

It just flew to me and landed on my finger...
Joe had time to get his phone to take a pic for me!


Another close-up of my 'red' friend

One of the many other dragonflies that sat outside and watched

And yet another...

My little 'red' friend landed again on my finger and though
I had paint on me he didn't mind. He stayed on me for over 5 min.
I do have my lil' brother Adam and Joe as witness LOL

3 comments:

Sara Johns said...

Dragonflies do not land on humans, I swear! Bugs are usually afraid of people since people usually swat at them. That is incredibly cool and I really do think it is a sign that Josh is with you! Esp since dragonflies are also pretty rare to see. Oh, and the shed looks great!

Alesha said...

AMAZING!

Jes said...

That is truly amazing that you can get them to land on you. The shed looks great, you are a wonder woman. I envy all that you get done.