
M.S. I Thought I'd educate those interested, since I have been asked a lot of questions about this topic due to my recent ongoing relapse. AND...No, MS does not stand for Micro Soft. Ü
It stands for Multiple Sclerosis.
Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a potentially debilitating disease in which your body's immune system eats away at the protective sheath that covers your nerves. This interferes with the communication between your brain and the rest of your body. Ultimately, this may result in deterioration of the nerves themselves, a process that's not reversible.
So, now that you know what it is, you ask what does it feel like? Why don't you look like you have a disease? Well...Signs and symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis vary, depending on the location of affected nerve fibers. MS signs and symptoms include:
- Numbness or weakness in one or more limbs, which typically occurs on one side of your body at a time or the bottom half of your body
- Partial or complete loss of vision, usually in one eye at a time, often with pain during eye movement (optic neuritis)
- Double vision or blurring of vision
- Tingling or pain in parts of your body
- Electric-shock sensations that occur with certain head movements
- Tremor, lack of coordination or unsteady gait
- Fatigue
- Dizziness
- Spasms (muscles that tighten up and won't release)
Yeah, I've had it all. The worse part is the dizziness and the spasms, and daily I live with fatigue and headaches. However, it is not as bad as you may think. I do get a really cool parking spot and I don't have to work anymore! Honestly.... Don't feel bad for me. I am doing great overall. The relapses come and go, and then I bounce back to myself once again. Most people you meet with MS don't "look" like they have MS because the symptoms are usually something you can't physically see. Did you know that several famous people also have MS? YUP! How cool is that that I have something in common with famous celebrities eh?
(Annette Funicello, Montel Williams, Clay Walker, Terri Garr, Alan Osmond to name a few)
I have a WONDERFUL husband and family that help me when I have my challenges and life is good! Thank you for all the concern and most especially for the LOVE. I am doing OK, and will be back to my "on the go" self very soon. Ü
3 comments:
I really am sorry that you have to deal with this. You have such an upbeat attitude when I think it would be so easy to just be negative all the time. I hope this episode will get over quickly and let you get back to enjoying life a little more.
Love you lots!
KayC
I agree with Kaycee... you are super positive! I have leg cramps in the evenings with RLS and Zach hears about it every single night! You deal with much worse all day and most of the time you would never know it! They really need to find a cure for this already! Hope you get back to feeling at least okay soon. We love you and miss you!
You are such a strong woman and hold a lot of your pain back. You are a great example.
Post a Comment