Dec 10, 2008

Looking Back at 2008

Joe hates those long letters that come with Christmas cards that update you about their family, so rather than send one, I'll post one. LOL. For those that care about us, you'll see our blog and might even read it. And, for those that don't care about us, you'd just toss it away anyhow; it would be a waste of paper and postage.... And, you probably don't even care to read our blog.

SO.... Here it goes. Looking back at 2008 Blog Style:


This last year has been full of challenges, grief, joy and change. But whatever comes our way, Joe and I are, and have been in this together. We will be celebrating our 30th anniversary next week! Not bad for a couple of young kids that everyone said wouldn't make it huh?! ÜWe looked so young! Joe and I back in 1978 on our Wedding Day, and a surprise visit from Santa to let us sit on his lap one last time.

We have had each other whether it be to console, celebrate or contemplate life. It is so awesome to be married to your best friend! We look forward to many more years of our journey. We realize we are getting old now, and laugh at where we are compared to where we were. Reading glasses, aches and pains, and wearing pajamas before 8pm. Oh well...

Joe is still working at UPS. He has only 8 years to go to retire! Woo Hoo! His job has kept him out of town about 3 weeks a month on average this last year. It has been hard to have him gone so much, especially if there is a snow storm! (hint) Or things that require a man's strength or expertise. There are perks that come with the job though, he earns air travel, hotel stays, and rental cars that we frequently use when we go visit our out of state children. Joe has been running marathons the last few years and ran one in San Diego this year; the "Rock and Roll" marathon. He has plans to run the New York City Marathon in 2009. (I go to cheer him on and try to keep up with the course to find him, to cheer him on. That is MY marathon while he runs his- ugh) Joe has been busy when he is home doing plenty of honey-do's. (Sorry Babe)We've remodeled our downstairs this year and yard. He is AWESOME at construction stuff and manual labor. lol. When he has time to sit and veg, he enjoys watching the UFC fights and some of the reality TV that I got him hooked on.

Stephanie left her job of 13+ years working for Delta Air Lines in June of 2008. With my MS acting up and the opportunity to leave the company with something in hand in case I didn't make it to retirement age, we decided we couldn't pass it up. So, now I am home wondering how in the heck did I work? I can't seem to find time to do half the stuff I'm doing now! I have been very busy since leaving Delta helping family, visiting grand kids, and overseeing the remodel that we did. Joe will tell you that I shop, but that is not entirely true. I was looking for stuff to make our house cute after the remodel. Ü Besides, I can't help it that pants my size were on clearance! The only complaint I have in being un-employed is that I have a full time job tending dogs. Our 2 standard poodles think that they have to be with me 24/7. It is rather annoying actually. My health has improved big time since leaving Delta, I was having several problems this year and I will testify that the work stress removal has helped me out immensely! I've stayed busy setting up a website for a former co-worker, and updating this blog to keep my computer skills up. Who knows.... I may go back to work part time after the new year, but for now..... I'm just enjoying the moments. I might even write a book now that I have more time!

Josh (and KayCee) live in Shelly Idaho. They have been hoping for a baby for a few years, and this year KayCee gave birth to twins in September. Unfortunately, their son Ryken only lived about 90 minutes. We don't think we've ever seen a time that was truly mixed with grief and joy. We were so lucky to have participated in such a sweet experience as we were able to be there. We literally landed on a plane about an hour or so before they were born. (KayCee was flown by medic plane to U of U to deliver since she went into labor prematurely, and Joe and I were in California to celebrate Mason's birthday when we got the call that KayCee was sent to Utah. YIKES! ) We made it though, and were so happy that Josh and KayCee allowed us to share the time our grandson was here with them, and also be there to see the miracle of our beautiful grand baby girl PresLee. Josh is contemplating a career change that will allow KayCee to be home. We are keeping our fingers crossed that it all works out! We hate that we are so far away from that baby girl, not to mention her parents... Ü

Cory lived with us for the first part of the year after returning from his adventures in Idaho to get back on his feet. He moved back out in May to an apartment located in Bountiful. where he is close to both of his jobs. He is currently working both at Starbucks and Royal India in Bountiful. Some of the family frequent both places, and we are lucky enough to get an update from them once in a while on how he is doing. Ü Cory is so busy he rarely comes home and we have to live vicariously through our updates! LOL. Thanks family for keeping us up to speed. We did get him to join us for Thanksgiving dinner, and got some family pictures a few weeks back, which was awesome!

Zachary (and Sara) live in Murrieta California. Zach is a Sargent in the US Marines, and is currently stationed at Miramar Air Base. They have a wonderful home there and we try to visit as often as we can to get away from the Utah weather, and....of course to see our darling grandson Mason. Mason just turned 2 in September, the day after Josh and KayCee had the twins actually. Zach and Sara are going to be adding another son to their family in early April. If he is even half as cute as Mason, he'll also have us wrapped around his fingers as well. That is if Mason will let him. LOL Sara is working from home as a medical transcriptionist, which is wonderful so that she doesn't have to have a sitter and can help with extra expenses that seem to keep coming up like a house flood. (Long story) Zach is also going to school and hopes to finish his law degree in Utah when he is done with the Marines in 3yrs.

Ashley is going to school and working full time. Busy, Busy Girl... She moved back home a few months back, and we have LOVED having her home again. Our baby girl turned 21 this year, she's now a responsible adult that helps around the house and is constantly looking out for us. Imagine that... Funny how they grow up and become adults and turn into your best friends! With Joe gone so much, it has been a joy to have someone here to hang out with when we can, that is if she is not already spoken for on her social calendar. Ashley isn't home much actually, she's busy pulling a A average at school and working full time at Little America's front desk. We keep hoping that she will find a handsome man that sweeps her off her feet so we can have more grand babies, but she assures us that she is NOT getting married until she has a degree and has lived life to it's fullest. (Her latest idea is to live this summer in Europe backpacking...yikes!)

There you have it... Denning's 2008 in a nutshell. I left out the really interesting things that will be in my book. You'll just have to wait until it comes out and read it. Seriously.... It will be better than the stuff on the Jerry Springer show!
Happy Holiday's and God Bless Everyone...

1 comment:

Jes said...

That was wonderful. It is always so good to see what other people have done in the year. Love you guys!